DESIGNER: AHUA CREATIONZ
1. What made you want to be a fashion designer? I don’t see it in that context I just love creativity.
2. What does fashion mean to you? It’s an expression of who people are and how they feel I believe.
3. Do you draw from cultural influences? Most definitely it is who I am. It is the foundation of my collection.
4. Can you tell a little about your PR19 collection? This is a very personal response and indeed a privilege to acknowledge the collective history of my people Tūhourangi, amid the devastation of the 1886 Tarawera eruption. It speaks a narrative of heartbreak, courage and sheer determination weaved throughout the landscape and its people. It explores traditional Māori adornment with contemporary mixed media exploration linking yesteryear with a modern day context. Welcome to ĀMAIA.. Āmaia - My Children, My Culture and My Journey. Each tells a story of who I am and where I have come from and where I am heading.
5. Will this collection be available for sale and where? Eventually yes but for now I would like to hold onto it and perhaps take it home back to NZ to showcase my work in an exhibition for my people. I would prefer that it’s sold as a collection as opposed to individual pieces. However let’s see . Each piece is unique and one off so they will be special. - website ahuacreationz.com - SM accounts Facebook and Instagram @ahuacreationz
Model wearing Ahua Creations jewellery.